Play On, Philly! High School Programming
Play On, Philly! offers year-round programming for high school students through POP Academy, POP Symphony Orchestra, and the Summer Music Institute. All high school students who live or learn in Philadelphia are invited and encouraged to register for one or more of our ensembles and classes. Students are welcome to register for both POP Symphony Orchestra and POP Academy as long as classes and rehearsals do not conflict, or students may choose classes in only one of these two program areas.
- Session One: September 24 – December 14
- Session Two: January 7 – March 15
- Session Three: March 18 – May 31
- Summer Music Institute: June 24 – August 2
Register Today and mark your calendars for these important dates:
- Week of September 24th: First Week of Program!
- Friday, September 28th and Saturday, September 29th: Collective Composition Workshop with Dan Trahey of Archipelago Project for ALL POP Symphony Orchestra and POP Academy Students
- Week of October 15th: POP Symphony Orchestra participates in the Philadelphia Orchestra Barnes-Stokowski Festival
POP Symphony Orchestra
Monday, Wednesday, & Friday from 4:30PM-6:30PM
POP Symphony Orchestra (POPSO) is the flagship ensemble at Play On, Philly!. Rehearsals are held in Center City on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 4:30-6:30. For this season, the orchestra will have a variety of challenging repertoire including Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Beethoven and Verdi representing Play On, Philly! in performances throughout the city.
Questions? Email Music Director, Mr. Andrés González, at Andres@playonphilly.org.
@ Neumann Goretti High School, 1736 S. 10th St
Various days from 4:30PM-6:30PM
At POP Academy, high school students explore the breadth of opportunities in music through a variety of Small Ensembles and Major Classes. Past ensembles and projects at POP Academy have included a New Orleans Brass Band, Brazilian Drumming, our Unapologetically Black Mixtape, Scoring Music for Film, a string ensemble to accompany rock musician Shane Henderson at The Trocadero Theater, and the creation of a Podcast about our National Anthem project, entitled Our Star Spangled Banner.
Questions? Email Academy Director, Mr. Ryan Crump, at Ryan@playonphilly.org.
POP Academy classes beginning September 24th – May 31st:
- World Music & Improv Ensemble – explore and perform African and Afro-Caribbean styles of improvisational, groove-based music – focused on winds, brass, and percussion (Tuesday)
- POPs Ensemble – arrange and perform popular styles of music, collaborate with local artists – focused on Strings (Tuesday)
- Identity, Power, & Music – explore and discuss issues of race, gender, class, etc., in the context of music and media. How can we use our individual voices, collective action, and artistic talents to move people to action and create positive change in our city and society? (Thursday)
- Music Industry & Technology – learn and practice basic and advanced recording and beat-making techniques, learn to plan and implement a recording session with other students (Thursday)
POP Academy classes beginning January 7th – May 31st:
- Steel Band – learn and perform steel drum and various other percussion instruments in the style of Caribbean Steel Band music (Wednesday & Friday)
- Modern Band – learn and perform guitar, piano, and drum set in a variety of popular music styles (Tuesday)
- Composition & Arranging – learn and practice composition and songwriting to bring your musical ideas to life! Past projects have included composing for film and composing for poetry (Thursday)